When starting the cure?

A parents' forum based on FTLoC (For The Love of Children)
poca

Re: When starting the cure?

Inlägg av poca »

Hi

I'm dying here... the night has been tuff as she wouldn't fall asleep for good same as the first night... She took almost 1 hour to fall asleep, slept good for 2 hours and then it was a disaster: no big crying but lots of complaints if I was not pushing the pram back and force.
Basically I push the pram until she relax, slow down and stop, everything is fine until she starts to complain again... I push the pram in silence, she stops, I stop pushing, then it's quite for a few minutes and I have to do it all over again...
Was like that from 00:45 to the meal time at 05:30...
(I had to do a diaper change around 3 and cleaning the nose a bit as she seems to have a slight cold).
She waited to get food but needed the pacifier and was unhappy when she was loosing it.

It's really tufff I must say...

Now the day start again and I'm not even sure that my planning is good enough and I know for sure I must adjust it for having a longer night as suggested by both of you mamas.

I'm really motivated but the night is killing me (yesterday the schedule went quite fine all day even if it was tough to wake her up after the nap and keep her awake the all 1,5h meal/awake time ; also it never took more than 20 minutes to make her sleep thanks to the pushing of the pram).

What do I do wrong??? :(((
I was so happy that the day went fine yesterday but a second bad night is difficult to take even if I'm sure it's gonna work on the mid/long term... I just want to make it right... :/

I would very much appreciate your help here again!
:heart: Big Brother 2013-09 (GNS 2015)
:heart: Little Sister 2016-08 started standard model on 2016-10-06 (7 weeks old), did her first 10 hours night on 2016-10-29 (10 weeks old) after 4 weeks of training \:D/ work in progress :thumbsup:
poca

Inlägg av poca »

Hi

I'm dying here... the night has been complicated as she wouldn't fall asleep for good (same as the first night... )
She took almost 1 hour to fall asleep, slept well for 2 hours and then it was a disaster: no big crying but lots of complaints (and no good sleep indeed) if I was not pushing the pram back and force.
Basically I push the pram until she relax, slow down and stop. Everything is fine until she starts to complain again... Again, I start to push the pram in silence, she stops complaining, I stop pushing slowly, then it's quite for a few minutes and she starts to complain again and I have to do it all over again...
Was like that from 00:45 to the meal time at 05:30... :shock: :( :(
(I had to do a diaper change around 3 and cleaning the nose a bit as she seems to have a slight cold).
She waited until the meal time to get food (05:30) but "needed" the pacifier the all night almost and was unhappy when she was loosing it (which was causing partially the complaining).

It's really difficult to handle for both of us I must say... She doesn't get enough sleep and I don't get any at all...

Now the day start again and I'm not even sure that my planning is good enough and I know for sure I must adjust it for having a longer night as suggested by both of you mama's (a 12 hours night with a food break somewhere).

I'm really motivated but the night is killing me (yesterday the schedule went quite fine all day even if it was tough to wake her up after the nap and keep her awake the all 1,5h meal/awake time ; also it never took more than 20 minutes to make her sleep thanks to the pushing of the pram).
I was so happy that the day went fine yesterday but a second bad night is difficult to take even if I'm sure it's gonna work on the mid/long term... I just want to make it right... :/

What do I do wrong??? :(((

I would very much appreciate your help here again for some tips regarding the night and for the schedule!
Thanks in advance!
:heart: Little Sister 2016-08 started standard model on 2016-10-06 (7 weeks old), did her first 10 hours night on 2016-10-29 (10 weeks old) after 4 weeks of training \:D/ work in progress :thumbsup:
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

Hi!

You CAN have your schedule 09-21 BUT be prepared that it will be harder than say 19-07. Babies own rhytm seems to be 18,30-06,30 or 19-07 so you have to work harder to make the mornings work if you have a later morning.
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

It´s normal with bumps in the road even if it´s hard. Even if she can survive without food for 7-8 hours doesn´t mean that she can do it every night yet. Why not start with two night feedings to make it easier for both of you?

How are you pushing the pram? It´s supposed to be a BIG movement, like you are pushing the pram forcefully away from you until you almost cant reach it anymore and THEN you pull it back forcefully. No nice gentle rolling, that will get you nohwhere cause then she will only want more. The point with pulling the pram is to deliver the message that YES she is supposed to sleep and she has to do it herself..
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
poca

Inlägg av poca »

Hej

Ok, let's see about the morning.
I agree 19:00-07:00 would be better (and I would like to have that) but mighty be trickier to prepare a toddler to go to preschool in the morning isn't? (When the toddler needs attention)

How would you handle that?
Maybe everybody can have "breakfast" at the same time? And the toddler get used to getting ready at the same time as you prepare the baby (and entertain the baby for socialization time and so on?)
poca

Inlägg av poca »

Regarding the night, then you would suggest an12 hours night with 2 feedings (so that would mean food every 4 hours?). Or 1 feeding (a 6 hour break sounds quite reasonable for her I guess).

How this night feeding should be handled?
Like in the FTLOC?
So a 20 minutes ish awake time?
Is that correct?

I guess I need to work on the pushing of the pram.
I try to do it in a energic way but I found it a little scary to push it harder but I should give it a try to provide that message I suppose.
Plus in the middle of the night my moment might not be as energetic as it should be when I have to do it for an hour or so :/ (like several hours if I take the 2 last nights example! :O)
poca

Inlägg av poca »

Then do you have some type of random 2 months old schedule? (like your 19:00-07:00) that I could use as a base?
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

You get up earlier and are ready at 07, then wake the baby, bottle for baby, wake up sibling(or when does he/she wake up?). Fix breakfast and while the older one eats you give the baby some more food. Hopefully some for you too :D . Dress everybody and be on your way! If you have two hours it should work - in :wink: theory at least.

Night: First feed after about 6 hours, second about 3 hours after first feed. If nighttime is 19, then first feed at 01 and second at 04. 20 minutes is a good time for feeding -yes. The room shold be dark, NO light on, mabye just a flaschlight(small) under your pillow, no talking.

If you can´t get pushing the pram working for you you may consider changing the tool to buffing. I never succeded with the pram but buffing i´m really good at. If you have to do it for several hours then you are: 1. doing it wrong OR 2. have a hungry baby(tools don´t work on hungry babies) OR 3. Just have a crappy night (if it´s just one time)

2 month schedual is 12-1,5-2-1,5.There may be a readymade one somewhwere in "Späda barn och små", probably under "svar på vanliga frågor", "schemaförslag".
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
poca

Inlägg av poca »

And another question about how you handle the awake time during days: how do you guys deals with it when you have to go out do grocery shopping or BVC meeting?
I don't see yet how I can keep her entertained if I'm pushing the pram for instance :?:

Also actually when it's sleeping time and there is a meeting at the bvc... She will be disturb in the middle of a sleep :(
Not good for her and her schedule :?
How do you handle that too?
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

I change all my BVC time so the fit the schedule of course :!: ! In the beginning they where a bit questioning about it but now they know that I come when I want or not at all :wink: .

Groceryshopping: Either awake with something interesting to look at( my boys never tolerated lying awake in the pram) or asleep ( with the opening in the pram covered with a blanket).
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
poca

Inlägg av poca »

Thanks for all your answers! :D :D :D
I'll look into the schedules where you are mentioned! :wink:
Now I cross my fingers and will try to do my best for the coming night !
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi Poca,

You got some GREAT answers! So the feeding for 20 min is not counting as awake time. :wink: Just pick baby up and feed.

Is the baby sleeping on their belly? Here is a clip for you regarding the "vagning" pushing the pram!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E595CP947Vc
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
poca

Inlägg av poca »

:D :D

No she's not sleeping on her belly and I don't plan to do it even if I know the method say so (and even if she seems to be comfortable like that,) but I just can't, I'm too scared of that so this part of the method I'll not follow.

Thanks for the video. I actually found it earlier on YouTube but I still find it a little difficult for me to make sure I'm doing it the right way.
She seems however quite ok with my pushing most of the time by now.
She just resisted a lot for today's lunch time: she didn't resist to the pushing itself as she was becoming quite pretty fast, but she was starting to complain just a few minutes after again.
How should I react regarding this? So far I just did it again and again (just like 2 minutes until she calms downs with a repositioning of the head before, no talking no eye contact l, slow down and leave), but it went like that for a while...
Should I continue like so?

Maybe I could give a try to the "buffing" when she resists a little for too long?
I found 1 video of "buffing" on YouTube but I'm not sure how I can wrap it to the "back" position.
Maybe somebody found a way already to do so?
Or maybe there is some more video on that?
poca

Inlägg av poca »

And by the way, I started this morning the 12-1,5-2-1,5 method starting at 7 in the morning l.
I'll be the one to adapt to the dagis life with my toddler #-o :D a stud schedule sound much better like that!
mamaA
Rådgivare/advisor

Inlägg av mamaA »

The clip is about a hysterical baby so the repositioning of the head should just be in that situation not at normal "vagning", then you just push the pram.

Sleeping on the belly is one of the keys to better sleep, I believe that our children that sleep on the belly WITH a respitory alarm are safer than those who sleep on the back WITHOUT any alarm but that´s just my thoughts. I would never let a baby sleep without the alarm.
James 11-03-05
Finn 14-09-19
SM-barn så klart!
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding FTLoC (For The Love of Children)"