Newborn using standard method

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
hanna-raori

Newborn using standard method

Inlägg av hanna-raori »

He is finally here our Emil- he arrived peacefully during home delivery and we want to give him the best possible start :)

We're following For the love of Children standard method and he's already following 1,5h feeds with 2,5 hour sleep in between. Our present problem is cramps. The milk is coming and his intestines are working hard. We give him fennel oil drops, massage his belly, suck on fingers but we avoid giving him milk in between feeds. Is that good? The midwife says the cramps can come more if he doesn't rest his belly in between. Right now the only thing that calms him down when he has cramps is to lie on my belly. As soon as I move him To the bed in belly position he starts crying and twitching again... After having an older girl with sleeping problems I don't want to go that way already, but so far he's 5 days old and on honeymoon, so it's ok right? Do the cramps pass when his belly gets used to the new milk?
mamma till tre små BB troll (flicka) 2008-06-24, (pojke) född hemma 2010-06-26 och (bebis-tjej) född hemma 2014-07-12.

http://www.raori.be
Luvisen

Inlägg av Luvisen »

Hi Hanna,

First of I want to wish you the very best of luck with your journey with Emil. Don't let the wolfs in already. Like you say, it is early days still. The little tummy will adjust, I am sure. Just do what seems to work for the moment and when the honeymoon is over you can get to work more focused on partial aims. That's what I would do.

I gave my darling formula from day 2 and he never had any problems in the long run. My main aim was from the begning to make sure the little one was properly fed. I didn't stick to this aim for different reasons, mainly because of my insecurity. I would just stick to that one principle if I was to do it again.

You know how to take care of the little one now, I am sure! And you have the only necessary backbone- For the love of Children... :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

The very best/Luvisen
Bebispojken född 22 april 2009
Maratonkurning 26 dec 2009 - 12 feb 2010
Petite Soeur född 8 mars 2012
SM rookie
TorsMamma
Forumets ordförande

Inlägg av TorsMamma »

Hi :lol:

I wish you the best of luck too. Have you heard of "sempers magdroppar" they are lactobacillus germs good for the small belly, this helps many people. Also don't forget to BURP! LOTS!
Tor 2006
:heart: BB barn från början. Sov sin första 12h natt 5 dagar före 4 mån, Diplomerad SS vid 6 mån
:heart:

:heart: FTLOC child from the beginning. Slept his first 12 hour night 5 days before 4 months. :heart:
hanna-raori

Inlägg av hanna-raori »

Thanks for your replies, I actually feel like I hav the day feeds under control. I can even put him to bed awake, if 2 hours have passed, and I need to- this little boy becomes very cranky if he stays up too long... Which brings me to my next question: nights...

I try to keep the night feeds shorter, about 20-30 min, but it is impossible! What happens is this: he wakes up, I feed him breast 1 until he breaks. I try to burp him and I put him back to breast 1 and burp again when he brake. Then change and straight to breast 2. This is when it gets complicated... About 20 min have passed now, but he still wants to eat, so of course I let him. Until this time his eyes have been closed and he's been sort of eating in his sleep, but during the change or when I give him the second breast- hell brakes loose!

He wakes up from the flowing about of milk, he drinks and aborts very quickly, SCREAMS, twitching his legs as in cramps. I burp him, he continues drinking, big flow, but he screams again as if he didn't eat for days! His belly is clearly in pain, but no burping, feeding, belly massaging seams to help. Sometimes it takes him 3-4 hours to stop the screaming and twitching, and you can imagine other factors conributing after so long too... Over tiredness, in need of a new diaper, very tired mum loosing it! Of course he collaps from tiredness when he finally falls asleep, and then he often wakes up again after 45 min.

I should mention 2 things that might be a reason for this night behaviour, even though the reasons should also apply to the days and it don't...

1. I'm doing all this with ONE arm! I'm pretty sure I can't burp him properly for example. I'm also very clumsy with him. Head falls here and there, arms falls out since he is being thrown around like a ragdoll... I can't hold him in a tight package or hardly change him... When I burp him, I have go throw him up on my right shoulder, hold him as tight as possible with my neck and the pat his but with my right hand... Is this the reason he's got cramps??

I also eat 4-5 g of paracetamol since 3 weeks back forthe pain in my arm... I don't think it goes in to breastmilk, but maybe it contributes?

So, here is the problem: if I miraculously make him sleep after 20 min, he wakes up after about 1 hour and I have a "one feed per hour" race all night through... If I let him eat for 2 hours, it's very likely he will get cranky and overtired, plus the "cramping" or whatever it is, starts and we stay up for hours, crying because lack of sleep- both of us!

I give him baby fennel drops for the cramps, it's the only thing I can find here. Maybe I'll have to import the semper one from Sweden...

Help, help, help !! None of us is getting the sleep we need, and we need it desperately for our older daughter, otherwise she will soon also start having bad nights... It's beginning already :(
mamma till tre små BB troll (flicka) 2008-06-24, (pojke) född hemma 2010-06-26 och (bebis-tjej) född hemma 2014-07-12.

Luvisen

Inlägg av Luvisen »

Oh Hanna! I feel for you! I do!

One arm- not so easy.

The belly massage you give him, maybe you should try that straight away when his cramps or whatever it is start up? I could hardly ever get my boy to burp when he was tiny by placing him on my shoulder so I always did the massage when I changed his diaper. I don't know how you do the massage but the one I used invovled folding the little legs up on the babys belly. Firmly but not hard, ofcourse. My boy always used to burp when I did this and it also helped him to poop. I imagine that might be easier with one arm as the baby is securly on the back on a changing table or similar. That way you don't need to carry and do the burping-moves...

Besides, I wish you could get some help in the night to burp, change, massage the child and to put the baby to the breast so you didn't have to get up at all. The faster u heal the sooner things will fall into place. Isn't there anyone??

I hope so! [-o<

Lots of warmth/Luvisen :heart: :heart:
SM rookie
hanna-raori

Inlägg av hanna-raori »

Thanks Luvisen :)

you're my personal baby-coach!! With Elsa you helped me so much, and now with Emil- wow!

Yes, the massage I give is the one you described. BUT I didn't know that it could help a baby to burp as well... I'll try that tonight.

But what do you think about the night feeds... Should I keep them as short as possible and put him to bed when he falls asleep after only one breast, maybe 15 min eating, or should I feed him for 2 hours with the whole package of cramps, changing, hangout... and just hope that with some belly massage he might fall asleep after a 2 hour shift? Maybe even "vagna" him sleepy when he's had "everything he needs"? In any case, he seems to sleep better and calmer during the day... Weird...

Another question: at night, should I wake him up after 2-3 hours to feed him or should I wait until he cries? During the day I wake him up when he sleeps longer than 2,5 hours. By doing so I hope he will sleep longer at night...

Luvisen

Inlägg av Luvisen »

Thanks Luvisen

you're my personal baby-coach!!
You make me blush... :oops: :)

Ok. So lets see... :-k

I guess the massage also involves the cirkular-motions on the little tummy? There should be some burping going on then if not sooner :lol:
But what do you think about the night feeds... Should I keep them as short as possible and put him to bed when he falls asleep after only one breast, maybe 15 min eating, or should I feed him for 2 hours with the whole package of cramps, changing, hangout... and just hope that with some belly massage he might fall asleep after a 2 hour shift? Maybe even "vagna" him sleepy when he's had "everything he needs"? In any case, he seems to sleep better and calmer during the day... Weird...
Yeah, they're a bit wierd in the begining :lol:

1)At night you feed as soon as the little person peeps. As quick as you possibly can wherefore I hope the dear father here can assist you so it is REALLY quick. Thay way the little one understands that he is really safe, so to speak.

2)After this feed you proceed with the massage.

3)Change the diaper- quickly! Unless some real disaster has occured and little one must be washed. Do not talk!

4)Feed again from other breast (nr 2, so to speak)

5)Proceed again with massage.

6) Put to bed. Get little one to fall asleep if need be with vagning. When the eyes start to fall shut, then you stop and let Emil do the rest.

This night feeding should be about 20 min all in all. 2 night feeds are the most common but once in a while there can be 3... :? :wink:

You should be able to get fairly good nights if you've got 4 big meals/day (once in awhile 5...)

As you see in the above you don't give breast 1 twice...

-------------------------

[/quote]I'm also very clumsy with him. Head falls here and there, arms falls out since he is being thrown around like a ragdoll...

The only time it is absolutely crutial to be still is when the child feeds or is in introspection (But that happens mostly during daytime, the way I read it in The Book). I think you must try with the Attitude at night when you feel a bit aprehensive about the way you handle him. If you just feel it is absolutely this way things are right now, he should feel fine with it. Just keep calm not sorry for every little turn Emil might get when you handle him. You are doing the best you can. Nuh? :wink:

------------------------------------
For little ones that really have a tremendous need to suckle you can give them the pacifier but only if certain criteria is met, see The Book. So you get the whole reasoning. In my book it is page 118 (Second Part of the book, chapter How to care for a newborn, Under Food.)
----------------------------------------

So maybe it is just the fact that it takes to long before he gets the second breast at night ? Could it be so EASY??

Let's hope so! [-o<

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Let me know!
//Luvisen :heart: :heart:
SM rookie
Luvisen

Inlägg av Luvisen »

I forgot this one:
Another question: at night, should I wake him up after 2-3 hours to feed him or should I wait until he cries? During the day I wake him up when he sleeps longer than 2,5 hours. By doing so I hope he will sleep longer at night...
So no waking up little one at night.
Waking up during day is... just right! :thumbsup: Way to go!

//Luvisen :P
SM rookie
hanna-raori

Inlägg av hanna-raori »

Yep, that was probably it :) strong attitude, one feed per breast, belly massage and the little one was asleep after 30 min! Yes!

The second feed was not enough for him though, he woke up after 45 min and wanted another full 1,5 hour feed. It could also have been because I didn't manage to burp him last night... Not even with long passes of belly massages (it did seem to help the cramps though...)

anyway, once again thanks a lot Luvisen! You're the BEST!!

Luvisen

Inlägg av Luvisen »

Supercool! Way to go girl! :thumbsup: /Luvisen 8)
SM rookie
hanna-raori

Inlägg av hanna-raori »

Just another quick advice on night feeds...

I can make him eat now only for 20 min, and he's even a little sleep so it's easy to put him down in the stroller. Problem is that he starts to move around, "make his bed" etc after about 5 min, which wakes him up but not cry. I "vagnar" him for I few minutes, he becomes still again, I stop, but after another 2-5 min he starts again... I've tried to "vagna" him sleepy during about 5 nights now, I feel confident and sure I'm doing it right (I've watched the videos), but after about 20-30 min of above he is sucking, looking for the nipple, crying a little- so I've picked him up to continue the feed, which works! It seems like he NEEDS to eat for at least 1-1,5 hour... After that it's really easy to make him sleep.

My questions are these: as it is now, the 2 night feeds takes 3 hours of the night instad of 40 min. How will I be able to "vagna" that away eventually? Should I keep "vagna" night after night instead of feeding full and hope that after a few nights of HOURS of "vagnande" he will get it? Isn't it better at this stage to make sure he's full instead?

The days are really 2+2 all day, so I undrstand that he wants to eat like that at night too. He is 3 weeks now.

Luvisen

Inlägg av Luvisen »

Isn't it better at this stage to make sure he's full instead?
I think this must be the main aim right now. Maybe you could shorten the nightfeeds by preparaing 2 bottles for the night? So it goes faster to fill him up so to speak. I only mean so you and baby can get proper rest...

It's just a thought...

Is he sleeping on the side now? Or on the belly? On the side with at bit of support worked very good in the begining for us... (that is to say the first month...)

You're amasing Hanna! It's so cool u already gotten a real good rythm during the days! I am sure Emil appreciates it :wink:

Hope you get answers on your other questions from wiser women :wink:

Lots of warmth/Luvisen
SM rookie
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"