Here again with a 14.5 months early riser!

A parents' forum based on GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)
Skriv svar
Visser

Here again with a 14.5 months early riser!

Inlägg av Visser »

Hello Friends!!!

"Unfortunately" I have to turn to you again. We have been through 6 months of severe illnesses and most of the way we managed to stay with a reasonable sleeping pattern.
1 month ago he got ear drains and ever since we have been struggeling with his sleep. Had his ears checked again and they were fine even if he constantly pulls them, however he has also been teething.
He was waking up all over the place and did not manage to go to sleep on his own again. He was dong very good falling asleep on his own before even through sickness. Sometimes I have put him to sleep in his trolley a night because he was impossible to put down. Now he is only waking up once after being put down at 8 o'clock -but goes back to sleep again after 1 or maybe 2 sunfeathers.
But he is waking up at 4.30 and will not go back to sleep. We say only one jingle and leave him -but he is crying untill he is picked up. Subsequently he is very tired through the day.
Here is his schedule:

6.00 wake up
6.15 breakfast
9.00 snack
11.00 lunch
12.00-14.30 sleep
14.00 snack
17.00 dinner
18.30 bath and laugh
19.00 snack
20.00 goodnight

Of course he has been very tired during the day and has had an extra nap for the last few days. I just do not know how to break his pattern again since he is in day care during the week?

Thank you so much for you support it is worth so much to so many.
Britt
TinasDag
Kontakt:

Inlägg av TinasDag »

Hi & welcome back!
firstly,
I recomend that you make some changes to your schedule. Your baby should sleep either 12 or 11 hours, not 10 as he has been doing. Perhaps the following:
6.30 Good morning
6.45 breakfast
9.00 snack
11.00 Lunch
12-14 Nap
14.00 snack
17.00 dinner
18.30 Bath & fun
19.00 snack
19.30 Sleep

This way you add an extra 30 min of sleep to the schedule and he goes to sleep earlier at night, all facilitating a good nights sleep.

Second,
You need to rev up your attitude! If you don't know how to proceed there is no way you can convey a message of calm and security to your boy.
As an old member aptly said:
Som jag ser det så tillhandahåller SHN-kuren (AW) det förhållningssätt som i sin tur gör verktygen funktionsdugliga. Utan rätt förhållningssätt funkar inte verktygen. Med rätt förhållningssätt fungerar verktygen. Rik av erfarenhet så kan jag lugnt säga att så ÄR det Det är känsla och attityd av självklarhet (förhållningssätt) som avgör hur man hanterar verktygen och hur kuren sedan i sin tur fungerar. Schema och verktyg utgör själva basen men det är förhållningssättet som får saker och ting att hända . Förhållningssättet är som bakpulvret i ett recept på sockerkaka ! Utan bakpulver händer ingenting...

Angående verktygen så är jag alldeles säker på att man kan få sitt barn att somna/somna om lugnt om man sjunger ”är du kär i mig ännu Klas-Göran” och hoppar 8 hoppsasteg baklänges med en röd och en grön gummistövel på fel fot ute på balkongen var 4:e minut - om man bara hade tilltro och ett vinnande samt självklart förhållningssätt till situationen, barnet och sig själv ! Absolutamente

Därför ska man vara så påläst att man kan ta kunskapen till sig och förankra i sin egen personlighet samt att våga agera som egen person i kurens alla moment - inte en kopia av AW eller Mammut. Ni vet hur det är med dåliga kopior... Om jag kan, så kan jag lova att alla andra också kan - jag är bara en Mammut bland alla andra....
roughly translated:
"As I see it the GNS theory supplies the attitude required to render the tools successful. Without the right approach the tools won't work. With the right approach/attitude, working tools. Rich in experience, I can safely say that this is the case; it is the feeling and attitude of the obvious (approach) that determines how to use the tools and how then to procees along the road. Schedule and tools are the basics means of action but it's the attitude that really makes things happen. The approach is like baking powder in a recipe for sponge cake! Without baking powder, nothing happens ...

Regarding the tools, I am pretty sure that one can get one's child to fall asleep / go back to sleep peacefully by singing "Jingle Bells" while doing jumping jacks on the balcony every 4 minutes - if you had confidence and a winning attitude, and of course the situation, the child and herself!
Absolutely!

This is why you need to be thouroghly prepared and well versed in the GNS theory before you can take the knowledge to heart and anchor it in your own personality. Once this is done you can modify the GNS model to suit you and your's- not an exact copy of AW. You know how it is with bad copies ... If I can, I can promise that everyone else can - I am only one among all others ...."

Conveying a sence and security and the absolute is imperative!
So, read up on the attitude/"how to convey security " chapter in the book.
Go back to the first night and do it over, speeding up 2nd, 3rd and 4th night in a kind of "mini-cure". He needs to "be set straight", brought back to the way it's supposed to be 8) He's too big to recieve the babying you've been supplying
Good luck,
love Tina
:heart: Vetgiriga semlan Dag :heart:
född 071105, kurad i Gastsjön aug. 2008
:heart: Ingrid som kan själv! 090826 :heart:
http://dahlin.bloggproffs.se
TinasDag
Kontakt:

Inlägg av TinasDag »

OK, just neded to clarify my last sentence in case I was a bit unclear... :roll:
He's too big to recieve the babying you've been supplying
What I mean is that at the moment he's just too confused by the traffic in his room and your attempts to soothe him by use of the"sunfeather". He needs clear and direct answers to his questios, supplied by a stellar attitude and prompt response. This is why you need to "back up" and reinforce/reintroduce what GNS is all about 8)
Love, Tina :heart:
TinasDag
Kontakt:

Inlägg av TinasDag »

Hi,
just wanted to check in and see how things are going? Have you made any progress?
Hope all's well 8)
Love, Tina
Visser

Inlägg av Visser »

Hi Tina

Oh yes and thank you so much for cheking up on me. Amazing to get back to the attitude.
I am so delighted -we struggeled for 2 hours the first morning with lots of cries from 4.15 to 6.15 but also still moments.
He was very tired in the morning ad was put down to sleep at 11.50. He woke up a few times but slept for almost 2 hours as scheduled.
Next mornings he woke up 6.23 and no big deal to et him to sleep at night.
Except last night he kept waking up with a terrible coff and after 1½ hours I gave him some water and an upight cuddle for some minutes in his semi sleep to get him "coffed" and in the end he slept through from 11 o'clock till I woke him up 6.45.
Unfortunately he has been in kidergarden during the week and has only slept about 1 hour and 20 minues. I have stressesd again that they should try to let him sleep for 2 hours and I hope they will manage today.
That is the reason for me using the 15 min buffer in the morning -is that ok?

I am geting back to my normal self again without sleep deprivation -even if I keep waking up early, knowing it will take some days for me too...

Thanks again for your wonderful support
Britt
Luvisen

Inlägg av Luvisen »

Hi again ,

Just wanted to say that you have done some wonderful work. Keep it up. :heart: :heart: :heart: :thumbsup:

Kind regards, Luvisen
Bebispojken född 22 april 2009
Maratonkurning 26 dec 2009 - 12 feb 2010
Petite Soeur född 8 mars 2012
SM rookie
TinasDag
Kontakt:

Inlägg av TinasDag »

Awesome work!
Someone here once said that "when you think you have the right attitude, you don't..." Somewhat confusing but very true :roll:
I've struggeled w/ my oldest many times during various ups & downs and every time I've been convinced that my attitude has been faultless...untill I finally decide to stop messing around and discover what real attitude is :oops: :roll:

You can definately use the 15 min buffer if need be :thumbsup: Regarding daycare, one way to get the point across is to explain how the daycare staff benefits from your son's two hour sleep. That usually does the trick :roll:
I am so delighted -we struggeled for 2 hours the first morning with lots of cries from 4.15 to 6.15 but also still moments.
This means that he's really listening to you. Good work! Keep it up and you're almost there.

Does he have a cold? We always use an old housewives remedy; one chopped onion, a tablespoon of dried thyme, an tblspoon of dried lavender. This is a decongestant as well as soothening . Works everytime for us!

Love,
Tina
Visser

Inlägg av Visser »

Hello again

Thank you. Yes he has a cold an hav had it for almost 6 months throuh 2 times pneumonia and an ear infection. He seems to get better and the coff has decreased -however what do you do with the housewives remedy -surely not to make him eat it?
Britt
TinasDag
Kontakt:

Inlägg av TinasDag »

Sorry!!!! :roll:
Forgot that essential part... #-o
No, definately don't feed it to him! Just place it under the bed and the steam will do the work.
Love, Tina
Luvisen

Inlägg av Luvisen »

Hi,

In the book For the Love of Children Anna has written about another remedy for earinfection. Let me know if your interested.

Lots of warmth/Luvisen :wink:
SM rookie
Visser

Inlägg av Visser »

Yes I read about Annas other remedy - pls. let me know if you have experience with it?
Only caution I have is hat he has drains in his ears and doctor said he is not allowed to get water in them However he does not seem to have ear trouble now...
Britt
Luvisen

Inlägg av Luvisen »

Not allowed to get water in them? I don't think the remedy involves water. It involves an onionpacket...

She writes: Pain in ears can be aleviated by an onion remedy. Chop a raw onion fine, gather in thin fabric, close up, heat the packet a bit, put against ear and fasten for the night.

Fortunately I have not had to use the cure on my son, yet. But I am sure it will help as everything else I have tried from Annas book works. I have used the raw-onion-soup-under-the-bed remedy, and it worked wonders for my sons throat.

How you fasten the packet I have no clue but I guess you just have to get creative

:wink: /Luvisen
SM rookie
Visser

Inlägg av Visser »

This I missed out! And correct -everyhing else Anna writes about is true. Sounds interesting -however I think it is 3 big teeth coming trough bothering his ears... I tried the trick under the bed -but my god it smelled all over the house. He woke up screaming 1 hour after he was put to bed so I dont really blame him for all the onion smell I could not stand it myself... ha ha -
But he seems better now even if he woke up 1 hour early this morning and cried most of the time to wake up tim.
They claim it is very difficult to make him sleep more than 1 hour 20 min in the kidergarden...:-( And that he has been very unhappy theese last few days -they want to go back to 2 naps:-(
Britt
Luvisen

Inlägg av Luvisen »

Hey again! :P

The teeth are bothering his ears? Huh? Anna says teeth don't bother at all. I believe her and my son had 4 teeth at the same time and I did not notice anything bothering him. I guess I could if I wanted to. I mean, from time to time he is cranky but I don't think it has to do with teething. So many other things are happening in those tiny bodies and not to mention the marvelous little brains :!: :o . From what I understand, it is absolutely crutial to give your child a sense of safety and reassurance they need no matter what happens. The crankier the kid the calmer the mom/dad... To try and really see you child and from the childs perspective. Now, this is not always so easy. From time to time I falter and unfortunately my dear son responds directly with frustration and or tears. :( :oops: . But one must just try and move forward and get things back on track asap.

About the onion-soup. Yeah, it's smelly alright. But what is a bit of smell for a few days if the thing works? I say, my home smelled like a restaurant for a week :lol: But my son didn't mind.

About the nap. I think you should stick with the 2 hrs nap or change your schedule to 12 hrs night sleep. What is crutial is that your child sleeps long hrs because he is in kindergarden. It is a lot to take in for a little person. Anna has written a lot about kindergarden. I don't know if you have read it but the little person misses his center, namely you. And that is a tough thing to cope with when your just a little child.

Also I noticed in your schedule that the feeding times are a bit "unregular". Anna writes that meals should be 3 or 3½ hrs apart. And the night meal should be no more than 1 hour apart from dinner. This way really topping the little person off , so to speak. I think an adjustment of meal times could give your sons stomach a more healthy rythm and thus a better foundation for sleep. So maybe you could look into that...?

All the best! /Luvisen :heart: :heart:
SM rookie
Skriv svar

Återgå till "Anna Wahlgren's Q&A Forum regarding GNS (A Good Night's Sleep)"